Many of us love to be around domestic animals such as cats, dogs, rabbits, and many others. However, a huge percentage of pet lovers are also allergic to their pet’s fur. This may pose a health risk but it would sadden us if we give away or sell our pets. To prevent this terrible situation from happening, here are some things that we can do:
- Refrain from bringing your pet close to your nose or other parts of your body that react to allergens. But if you cannot avoid cuddling your pet, make sure that you limit this action so as not to invoke too much allergic reactions to your body. After you cuddle your pet, change your clothes so that you will not be exposed to its fur all day.
- Always wash your hands after you hold your pet.
- Do not let your pet stay inside your room since he may get into your things and leave its fur there unnoticeably.
- Keep your pet clean. Bathe him on a schedule.
- Clean carpets and rugs so that the fur and dirt from your pet will not circulate around the house.
- Consult with your doctor as to how you can deal with the allergies caused by the fur of your pets.
The unfortunate event of having allergies with fur when you are a pet lover does not necessarily mean that we cannot interact with them anymore. We just have to be cautious about how exposed we are to the allergens they bring and always prioritize our health.